What should I do if I receive a bad check?

If you receive a check that is returned for NSF or a closed account, you must notify the account holder within (30) thirty days and give that person (10) ten days to make the check good. You may notify the person in writing.  If you do send a letter, send it via certified mail return receipt requested. If after ten days the check is still outstanding, you may contact our fraud investigator for a possible criminal investigation.

Posted in: General