If I turn in found property and it isn’t claimed, can I have it?

Yes and No. If you are the finder and wish to gain legal title to an item you must comply with Oregon law. If you are the finder of money or goods that are valued at $100.00 or more, you must give notice of your finding in writing to the County Clerk within ten days. Within 20 days of your finding you must publish within a newspaper of general circulation a notice of your finding. You must publish this notice once each week for two consecutive weeks. After three months, if the owner is not found, the finder becomes the owner of the goods.

Posted in: General